Spinal injury compensation claims
Spinal injuries are often serious - it's important to get the right expert legal help and advice from a real personal injury law firm.
Serious spinal injury claims require specialist lawyers to help compensate the victims and bring some form of quality of life back in the form of compensation payments.
Paralysis and lack of mobility are the common worst case scenario situations for spinal injuries, and it's important to make sure any spinal injury victim is fully compensated for their injury and loss.
Spine injury compensation - What can I claim for?
You can claim for the pain, suffering, and loss of amenity caused. On top of that you can claim for any losses and expenses caused as well. Serious spinal injuries will often lead to significant difficulties with mobility in the short term and perhaps the long term if the injury is a bad one. Any fracture or dislocated disc can result in significant pain and difficulty in achieving most every day things. All of this needs taking in to account.
When it comes to losses and expenses, known as Special Damages, it's all about the amount you have had to pay out for, or have lost, and will lose in the future, as a result of the injury. We can form the losses in to a schedule with evidence to prove the amount lost or paid out, and we can add this on to the injury claim to increase the payout. You should be put back in the financial position you were in prior to the accident as much as possible.
We can include things such as:
- Lost earnings from time off work - including future lost earnings and loss of opportunity on the open labour market where permanent problems are caused
- Private rehabilitation services - we can fund this for you and then claim it back as part of the case
- Medication costs - over the counter and prescription
- Travel expenses - we can set up an account with a local firm or agent for you as well
- Lumbar supports, braces, specialist pillows, or any other adaptations and equipment you have had to buy to make life more comfortable
- Care and assistance claims - where we can claim an hourly rate for help received from friends and family etc
How much is a spinal injury claim worth?
It is all about the individual suffering and pain caused together with the losses and expenses claim. You do need medical evidence and a specialist injury lawyer representing you for a claim to properly value the case; but we can take a quick look at the guidelines for a little advice about what the claim could be worth:
- Minor spine injuries such as a simple prolapsed disc - £5,600 to £8,900
- Frequently moderate spine injuries such as prolapsed discs necessitating laminectomy or resulting in repeated relapses - £8,900 to £19,850
- More severe moderate spine injury cases such as compression/crush fracture of the lumbar vertebrae, or spondylolisthesis, or prolapsed intervertebral disc requiring surgery, or damage to an intervertebral disc with nerve root irritation - £19,850 to £27,700
In the severe spine injury category the bracket and payouts can of course vary, and it is all about the individual case:
- Disc lesions or fractures of discs or of vertebral bodies leading to chronic and significant conditions - £27,700 to £49,800
- Spine injuries resulting in nerve root damage with associated loss of sensation, impaired mobility, impaired bladder and bowel function, sexual difficulties, and unsightly scarring - £53,000 to £63,000
- Most severe injuries involving damage to the spinal cord and nerve roots, leading to a combination of very serious consequences such as severe pain and disability with a combination of incomplete paralysis and significantly impaired bladder, bowel and sexual function - £65,000 to £115,000
The above information is from the official guidelines we use to value claims from the back injuries category.
Important advice about making a spinal injury compensation claim
Spine injury compensation claims can be worth a lot of money given how serious the injury can be. It's very important to instruct the right law firm with specialist experience in representing victims for spine injury claims.
Many companies out there are not real law firms - they are accident advice services and claims management companies who pass your case to a solicitor that you don't choose. This can limit access to justice and cost you more money than it should.
Only ever go to a law firm direct - we are the real deal and we specialise in personal injury claims for spinal injuries.
We can offer a specialised service and potentially save you thousands of pounds by not taking the standard 25% from your compensation claim like most lawyers do. For serious spine injury claims this can save you tens of thousands of pounds in compensation!
Free professional legal advice
If you require further advice about making a compensation claim for a spinal injury, either fill in your details in any form on this page, or call 0800 634 7575 and get professional legal advice on how to proceed with your claim.