Call FREE from a Landline or Mobile on 0800 634 75 75

Uninsured or untraceable driver accident claims guide

uninsured driver mib claims

Being involved in a road traffic accident is bad enough but things can turn even more unfortunate if the other driver has no insurance for the vehicle they were driving or even flees the scene of the accident!

Both of the above scenarios are worrying, and if you or a passenger in your vehicle was injured from the accident it only adds to the anxiety of the situation – especially when the uninsured or untraceable driver was at fault.

How is someone in these type of situations expected to make a road traffic accident claim for the damage and injuries suffered if there is no insurance or no-one to claim against?

Fortunately, here in the UK, an organisation exists which can help in these stressful circumstances - The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) was established in 1946 to "compensate the victims of negligent uninsured and un-traced motorists". The MIB is funded by all UK Motor Insurers who pay around £30 a year through their motor insurance premium.

So how do you make a MIB claim?

Like any other road traffic accident, contact the Police immediately, especially if you or a passenger has been injured, then inform your own insurance company the circumstances surrounding the accident. The MIB expect any accident claim they take on to have been reported to the Police within 5 days from when the accident took place.

You'll require the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer to help arrange legal expenses insurance to protect you against any legal costs. Although claims can be submitted to the MIB by the claimant themselves appointing the skills of an experienced personal injury lawyer to represent you can really help in making a successful uninsured or untraceable accident claim.

Like any other RTA claim, you'll still have to produce evidence that the other uninsured or untraceable driver was at fault for the accident.

Start by collecting all documentation and evidence to prove that the uninsured driver was at fault for the accident. Police reports, witness statements (if any), pictures, Doctor or Hospital reports on any injuries, if your vehicle is damaged then repair estimates, etc...

This is the area where a professional injury lawyer can help build a strong case profile for submitting to the MIB plus they'll also be able to help you claim for other things like lost wages for time off work.

Please be aware that MIB claims carry an excess of £300 and compensation payments have a capped limit of £250,000 for property damage.

With over 1 in 20 drivers on UK roads being uninsured, and these type of uninsured driver claims rising by 10% in the past year (July 2014 to July 2015), its most certainly a trend for legitimate drivers to be concerned about.

In any instance, we suggest you contact The Injury Lawyers if you are looking to make a road traffic accident claim following either an accident with an uninsured driver or a vehicle that sped off from the scene (hit and run).

Request A Call Back

Your privacy is extremely important to us.
Information on how we handle your data is in our Privacy Policy

solicitors regulation authority
Free Instant Valuation
Compensation Calculator
Instantly Values Your Claim
Head Injury
Neck Injury
Shoulder Injury
Arm Injury
Elbow Injury
Hand Injury
Torso Injury
Mid-Section Injury
Back Injury
Leg Injury
Knee Injury
Ankle/Foot Injury
As Seen On TV
NHS Email Leak
Latest Blog Posts
Latest Testimonials